Monday, January 30, 2017

Review: Dead Camp Series 1-3 by Sean Kerr



There’s a very fine line between genius and insanity! To write a book like Dead Camp you sure have to be a genius with a powerful imagination. Even though fantasy books are not my favourite genre, this story had been one of the few that got me hooked from the beginning. There would be no book without the fantasy of the writer, and in my opinion Dead Camp 1 had been perfectly balanced between fantasy, action, humor and an overactive stamina. Some parts of the book had me like “Holy Cow, the author is walking on very thin ice”, whereby my favourites parts where the most insane ones. Although the book is mainly written with a slope to the dark side, I loved its humor and sometimes hilarious moments. About the overactive stamina I just have to say; Sean Kerr’s husband sure has to be a very lucky man…. As for me; I sure will follow this series until the very end!

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Camp-1-Sean-Kerr-ebook/dp/B019EV4DVM



I really wish this book would be just some awesome fantasy, written by a very gifted author that is Sean Kerr! Sadly most of it isn’t, its history, it’s the darkest part in German history ever, it’s my history.

Dead Camp 2 with its 179 pages took me almost two weeks to read. Sure I’m not the fastest reader on earth, but it hadn’t been because of that. It was because sometimes I just couldn’t take anymore and I needed time to grief, to understand. I’ve been growing up in Germany in the 70th, sure we had history at school, we knew about all the things that happened then, we even had been in one of those Death Camps and I have seen the furnaces where the corps where burned myself, but at my age it was more like someone told you a once upon a time fairy tale, like Hansel & Gretel by the Brothers Grimm. With Sean Kerr’s book and his gift of very visual writing, Germany’s dark history became flesh & blood; it became faces, voices and names. With every new name there had been another soul abandoned to a horrible fate. It wasn’t like reading Anne Frank or watching Schindler’s list. This book had been intense, very intense and sometimes just too much for me to bear and that’s why I needed lots of breaks and it took me so long to finish. Thru Eli’s eyes I could see and feel the pain, the terror and the desperation.

The fantasy part of the book had not been less intense for me, and the hardest part of it was to lose Malachi. I dearly loved the bubbly ghost; he’d been my Sunshine in all that dark. Malachi, as the camp he was, had been good for more than one hilarious moment in the Dad Camp series. Even though I knew there was a risk to lose Malachi’s soul in the process, I couldn’t believe how things turned out and it left me more than just a bit heartbroken.

Thank God the Dead Camp series isn’t just about Nazi Germany; it’s about a history that reaches back since time immemorial, including heaven and hell, as well as everything between. Sean Kerr is a wonderful story teller and has a very special way with words, or like a friend the other day laconic said; Sean Kerr’s texts should win the Pulitzer!

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Camp-2-Sean-Kerr-ebook/dp/B01BUB6B14
I


Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul to waste

Sympathy for the devil, that's what I thought of first for my headline, because that's what I really had; Sympathy for the fallen Angel, the firstborn, feeling abandoned by his beloved father, identifying with the lost souls, their displacement and sympathetic to their cause. All the evil in the world created thru the unconditional love of an rebellious angel.

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate....

That's pretty much where Dead Camp 3 has it's roots. Forget everything you ever thought to know about Christianity, because this book will turn it all upside down! This book will let you questioning everything you ever believed in.

Even though I've been suspecting where Eli came from all along, his real identity so to speak, the story was something I never would have dreamed of. To say I've been surprised to witness how he got Menarche would be the understatement of the year! This book had so many twist and turns that every time I thought to have figured out what happens next, Sean Kerr threw me a curveball.

The last chapter and the epilogue was the worst! My heart was ripped out yet again by a fantastic storyteller, whereas I've been happy to meet again with one of my favourite characters of the series, Malachi. I've been crying for Gideon, but glad to be knowing him where he belongs too... holy cow, Adam and Eve, I didn't see that one coming... and don't let me start with the Führer, where it seems we'll meet with yet again in the next book in the series.

Sean Kerr, the Mastermind behind the scenes, did it again! The first two books of the series had been masterpieces, where I thought he never would be able to top, but Dead Camp 3 had it all and so much more. I fell deeply in love with this wonderful written book and I just loved it's blunt language, which brought some light in all the dark. Kudos! Well done, Sean Kerr!


No comments:

Post a Comment